Thursday, May 2, 2013

defining mothering: we're doing it wrong

One of the most fascinating things I've discovered since our sea change three years ago has been the ever-changing outlook of the beach. That girl looks different every single day. Some days are like a lake, other days are tumultuous and wild. Some days there is a vast expanse of sand to walk on, other days we scramble over a narrow stretch covered in weedy debris. I initially felt unsettled by this daily change. Nervous, because every day didn't necessarily fit my preconceived definition of 'beach'.

Whenever I try to navigate the parenting landscape, I'm struck by the need to define the indefinable. Attachment parenting, helicopter parenting, laissez-faire, retro, instinctive parenting, passive parenting, authoritative parenting: at some point, so far, I've defined my self as each of them. But there is not a single one I could pick to define our parenting choices throughout. Because, like most parents, we are of the "make the best decision we can, with the knowledge and resources we have at the time" school. Our family unit model has changed, growing over six years to include one, two, then three children. We have had combinations of full-time working mum, stay-at-home-dad, part-time working mum, full-time working dad, stay-at-home-mum, with spatterings of formalised long day care, before and after school care and grandparent and uncle care.

Today, I am letting go of the desire to define myself as a 'type' of parent. Because that inherently leans towards placing value on one type over another. It has taken me some time to accept the ebbs and flows of the beach conditions, and know that every circumstance is in some way ideal; not just the sweet, sunny days. Rugging up in warm clothes and meandering around the rocks on a windy day gives us an opportunity to see things in a different way. I never expected our circumstances to involve an extended period of full-time leave from work, but I am very grateful for the time and the lessons I have received in that time.


This parenting work is truly a task of building the plane mid-flight. Children are growing, their needs are constantly changing. Adults are evolving constantly, too. Circumstances around finances and values (and how to align the two) are always shifting, and vary wildly between families. From now on, I will stop working so hard to label what I do (and what you do, too) as a parent, and work to enjoy the connection and the ride.

6 comments:

  1. Well put Sarah. I too have belonged to different parenting camps, and probably still do. Labels can sometimes be helpful, but where parenting is concerned the reality is that most people have a set of values that might change as they discover who their children really are and who they really are, borrowing from other camps as they see fit. Whatever works I say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true Vanessa- patchwork parenting ;)

      Delete
  2. What a welcome reminder. Thank you! As you have so perfectly put it: we are of the "make the best decision we can, with the knowledge and resources we have at the time" school. This fits our family to a T! I so appreciate these reminders that we don't have to strictly parent in one way or another. Every family is different. Every child is different. And the bottom line is that we, as parents, know what works best for our own. Even if it means a little trial and error along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's life, isn't it- just a whole bunch of trial and error!

      Delete
  3. I'm just sitting here nodding and going "Mm-hm." Wise words!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...