Friday, August 3, 2012

in season: orange passion cordial

When Catherine suggested a cordial recipe for oranges in season, I thought well that's not going to happen. My darling loves cordial, but I'm not a fan. I don't buy it, he tries to sneak a bottle in over summer. The kids don't even really know what it is. I looked at my eleventy-billion oranges and the three questionable passionfruit in the fruit bowl and wondered if I could make orange and passionfruit cordial?

A quick goggle search yet again informed me that I am the inventor of nothing.

Ta Da!
Impressive, no? And it was easy-peasy.

Grab this:
1 tablespoon finely grated orange rind

1 1/2 cups orange juice

4 passionfruit, halved

2 teaspoons citric acid
1 1/2 cups caster sugar


Do this:   1. Combine 3 cups cold water, orange rind, orange juice, passionfruit pulp, citric acid and sugar in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to the boil. Boil for 10 minutes or until mixture has reduced slightly. Strain into a heatproof jug. Pour into hot, sterilised bottles and seal. Refrigerate until chilled.
2. To serve: Use 1/3 cup cordial to 1/2 cup chilled sparkling mineral water or iced water.
I only had three passionfruits.

If you can find someone handsome to help out with the juicing, all the better.

Bubble, bubble.

Straining the pips.

The oranges were full of the most delicious juice, the colour of the cordial ended up really vivid! It's just biding its time in the fridge for some warmer weather.

Was cordial a big part of your childhood?

2 comments:

  1. I remember loving cordial as a child.
    But now making my own (lemon syrup cordial) I realise that the homemade version is so much nicer.
    This one looks delicious.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats terrific that your making your own cordial so much healthier. We never had cordial in my house as a child and we don't now, we mainly drink water, i'm kind of proud of that!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...