Wednesday, July 25, 2012

pageturner: a thousand splendid suns

Last week was two-dollar-novel day at my local op shop. My happy day. A chance to stock up on words. And the promise of quiet; absorbed in the lives of new friends.

A Thousand Splendid Suns is by Khaled Hosseini, author of The Kite Runner. I have not read The Kite Runner, and that makes me feel inferior.

Hosseini weaves the two tales of Mariam and Laila, two women living in Afghanistan, in the most beautifully engaging way. I became so absorbed in the lives and loves of these characters that I finished the book within 24 hours. It's a take-to-the-bathroom kind of book. Reading A Thousand Splendid Suns made me see my complete ignorance about the real lives of fellow daughters, wives and mothers living in places fractured by war.

I absolutely recommend this story, if you are someone who enjoys an epic tale of love, friendship and endurance.

Have you read A Thousand Splendid Suns, or The Kite Runner? What did you think? Are you a book buyer or a borrower?

5 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to read both books for ages! You've inspired me to do something about that! I love buying books, particularly buying from the novel exchange near us. But I've just bought a kindle... we'll see how that goes! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a buyer here. I gave up all my childhood collections (think complete Nancy Drew hardcover series) and regret it now and maybe that partly explains my obsession with owning, particularly sets, particularly sets with continuity of covers (pay attentions, print houses!)

    No e-reader can ever replace a real paper book in your hands. It is part of the reading experience.

    Ihave read The Kite Runner. It is a bit like the movie Schindler's List. An important movie to watch but you just have to find the courage and start it. Once you do, you can't stop.

    Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried reading on an e-reader yet Elisa, I like the idea of having a catalogue of books without taking ap all that space. But then real books- I love the smell (weird). I found the content of A Thousand Splendid Suns quite challenging, Tas. I think that is part of the engagement, I needed to keep reading to reach a resolution!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this book and The Kite Runner also. I'm a book buyer and borrower. Try and get as much from the library or via friends and family. Love a good second hand find from the stall at the markets too. But sometimes you just have to browse and buy.

    Some other good reads you may like:

    Foals Bread - Gillian Mears
    Atonement - Ian McEwan
    Time Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger
    The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - DAvid Wrobelski (spelling?)
    A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
    The Help -Kathryn Stockett
    Cold Mountain - Charles Frazier

    Missing my book group :( Have tried a few readalong ones online but its not the same

    ReplyDelete
  5. two of my favourite books, and two that are permanently on my bookshelf. (infact, if I see copies of them at the oppie I will buy them so that I can lend those out and mine stay on my shelf!

    Glad I found your blog

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...