Tuesday, May 8, 2012

nourish: something from nothing

I've been really enjoying being more mindful about the food we eat, and how much we waste. I've been carefully planning the week's dinners, and shopping thoughtfully. Some leftover chicken legs from the party on Sunday gave me an opportunity to create an 'endless meal'.

Chicken leg and dead veggie noodle soup
Gently fry a red onion and a couple of cloves of garlic in some olive oil. Add some diced carrot and celery and soften. Remove and roughly dice the meat from some cooked chicken legs (I had six) and chuck that in, too. Throw in some finely chopped ginger, and whatever other veggies you have in the bottom of the fridge (I had some green beans and a corn cob). Cover with water, with a couple of inches of water above the veggies. Bring to the boil and simmer until the veggies are nicely cooked. Season well. Eat it like this, or add some flat rice stick noodles if your eldest pesters you for noodle soup. I also tossed in a teaspoon or two of Keen's curry powder, all casual like.

Yum. I made enough for dinner for the five of us, plus enough for some lunch for me and some warming after-school snacks, plus some to freeze for later. Love something for nothing.

2 comments:

  1. oh yum! I've been dreaming about Chicken (noodle) soup lately, thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...